|June 2011 (35.708 Degrees, 139.797 Degrees) Komagata Bridge|
Continuing up the Sumida River to the Komagata Bridge. This is another three span steel arch bridge, but with a tied arch for the center span and deck arches for the side spans. The bridge was completed in 1927. It is 480 feet long by 75 ft wide with six traffic lanes and wide sidewalks. The concrete piers include round turrets at the ends for gazing out at the river or for resting. The bridge was named after the nearby Matsugata Temple which was dedicated to the goddess of horses ('koma' is Japanese for horse). On the east bank is the popular Asahi Beer Hall and the 'Asahi Flame,' both designed by Phillippe Starck.
Post a Comment